If you are hiring interns this summer, help them to fall in love with your brand and your company. Students want to know you care and that the possibility exists for future employment if they do a great job.
For the students, internships are a great way to test drive a career. It’s an insider’s view into the day-to-day activities of a career to determine if they are passionate about it. It’s also a perfect résumé builder for college students as many companies expect students to have some experience in their desired field. Here are 7 ways you can make it easier for interns to love your company.
- Choose supervisors who will talk with them and who understand the importance of developing a solid talent pipeline through the summer experience.
- Help them search out mentors in the company who can guide them. A good mentor will help them avoid common errors that can limit their career and increase their chances of reaching their goals.
- Show them the possibilities. Students may not consider future employment with your company if they do not understand the opportunities available.
- Encourage them to ask lots of questions. Provide an atmosphere that encourages exploration and growth even though everyone may be busy.
- Ask for their input. Take the time to seek out the opinion of the intern. Interns are savvy and may have the idea or solution you have been fishing for. Don’t dismiss them because of their age.
- Give them real work. Even though they aren’t getting paid, grunt work can only go so far. Have them work on actual projects so they see how important their part is, no matter how small. Visiting other departments and attending meetings work also.
- Stay in touch after their internship ends and build those relationships. Social media makes that easier but go the extra mile and make that call or send an email.